GEOfoodEDU: educational local food project focused on UNSDGs
The GEOfoodEDU is a two years project, financed by NORA (Nordic Atlantic Cooperation), which is an intergovernmental organisation under the regional cooperation programme of the Nordic Council of Ministers and it brings together Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands and Coastal Norway.
The project, led by Magma Geopark, will sustain the areas involved in developing innovative strategies focused on sustainable development, good practices related with food consumption through the development of tailored educational materials.
GEOfoodEDU will disseminate good environmental practices related with use of local food also thanks to the GEOfood brand, owned by Magma UGG and in use around the World. GEOfoodEDU aims to expand the use of the brand into the NORA Region, involving local food producers, restaurants, incentivising the use of km-zero food chain and use of traditional regional food. The GEOfoodEDU partnerswill explore possibility for GEOfood trails and routes tailored for slow tourism based on local heritage, implementing with innovative contents the TeachOut APP for outdoor education,
The project Partners are:
- Magma UNESCO Global Geopark (Magma) – Norway (leader)
- Katla UNESCO Global Geopark (Katla) – Iceland
- Geological Survey of Faroes (Faroes)- Faroes Islands
- Educational teaching materials related to sustainable development practices within food production (GEOfood MANIFESTO), biodiversity, geodiversity, waste food reduction, soil protection.
- Storytelling based on local heritage for the potential GEOfood products and restaurants. Each producer and restaurant will get specific description which explaining to the consumers the peculiarity of the local geological heritage and the related food products.
- New games for theTeachOUT
- Map and booklet with collected recipes, legend and intangible heritage stories from local communities in connection with local food products.
- Videos about Geopark´s locations and sustainability issues linked with local food and heritage
- Short report for implementation of GEOfood brand in aspiring Geopark – with specific focus on Faroes
- Dissemination of theTeachOUT APP and GEOfood brand in the NORA Region.