One is aware that in 1292 there was a St. Maria church (main church) in Egersund. She was mentioned in a letter from Pope Nicholas IV about indulgences for all penitents who on certain days visited Mariakyrkja in Egersund and Olavskirken in Nidaros.
Mariakyrkja probably stood where today’s church stands, on the so-called «Heidningholmen», which indicates that this was formerly a pre-Christian cult city. An older church was demolished here in the period 1623-34 and the present church was built as a long church in the same period. In the 1780s, this was extended, which means that today it stands out with a cruciform plan. Inside, the church is changed several times after this, due to population growth. In 1888 it was Rogaland’s second largest church with 1160 seats.
One is aware that in the Middle Ages a chapel was built in Egersund. This is stated in a papal letter from 1308, from Clemens V to King Håkon 5. Magnusson. Here the St. Laurenti chapel is mentioned as one of 14 chapels owned by the king. This was probably on a plot owned by Husabø farm, a former royal farm.
The name Egersund comes from the Old Norwegian name for the lease (Eikundarsund) between the mainland and Eigerøy (the island that has a lot of oak). Eikundarsund is mentioned in the saga literature where in the saga of Olav the Holy it is stated that Olav the Holy often lay here with his fleet.
Monday– Sunday 09.00 -14.00
Strandgaten, 4370 Egersund