Åsen & Ravnafjellet
Åsen & Ravnafjellet
How to get there
There are two hiking routes to Åsen, either starting from Bjerkreim church (3 hours round trip) or up from Åsen (1.5 hours round trip).
• To start the hike from the church, drive along the E 39 to Bjerkreim, and then follow signs to Bjerkreim until you reach the church parking lot. Park here and follow the hiking route signs to Åsen.
• To start from Åsen, continue driving from Bjerkreim towards Odland. After 600 m turn right. After 2.3 km turn left towards Ramnafjellet and drive until you reach the Åsen parking lot.
Accessibility: Challenging hike. Marked trails.
Duration: 1,5-3 hours
- Park at the parking place and show respect for private land.
- Show respect to animals along the trail.
- Don’t forget to close gates behind you so that animals would not get away.
- Dogs have to be on leash.
- Leave nothing but footprints!
What Three Words
Geology and nature
Ramnafjellet mountain is a popular hiking area and the climb to the summit gives a beautiful view over Bjerkreim municipality. At Åsen you are in the lower part of Western Europe’s largest layered intrusion, that 920 million years ago was an enormous magma chamber full of red hot magma – more than 100 times hotter than boiling water. Ramnafjellet consists of a large inclusion of anorthosite inside this magma chamber. Since anorthosite is more resistant than the surrounding rocks it has created Ramnafjellet mountain.
Magma Geopark organizes trips to the area with focus on nature activities and geology. This is a perfect location for team building or student groups with flexible tour options. Please contact us for more information.
Culture and history
The oldest house in Bjerkreim, Åsen, is found here. The name of the farm comes from the surrounding nature; Ås means “ridge-shaped hill”. The house has been modernized and is used to host events and tours in Bjerkreim. The house Åsen has a long history as a regular stopping place along the church road for the priest on his way to Bjerkreim from the 14th until the 20th century. The farm is located next to several hiking routes and there is a salmon river only 5 minutes drive away.